Monday, December 10, 2012

What has impacted me most...

   After this long semester of learning about women's health, I found the information from the video, A Powerful Noise, to be of most impact.  The video left me feeling sad, empowered, and determined to make positive changes in the lives of those around me.  I felt as though the documentary truly captured the emotion and heart of the three women that were followed.  The film also opened my eyes to foreign cultures.  I found it disheartening that workers with HIV were forced to resign from their jobs in Vietnam, adding to the stigma of the disease.  The fact that HIV had infected families and torn them apart made me take into account that the disease can strike anyone without warning.  I also felt disappointed that women were still considered second-class citizens around the globe.  The inability for women in Bosnia to work and make money in order to care for their children was upsetting.  The fact that they wanted to work and had strong work ethics but had no economic opportunity made me realize that we women still have a long ways to go in achieving equality.  Lastly, I was dumbfounded by the lack of industrialization and progression of some African countries.  The few schools that were available had no running water, electricity, or sufficient space.  I was also shocked when young women would explain that they wanted to go to school in order to learn how to write their own name.  This made me realize how lucky I am to have the opportunity to go to school and achieve a higher education.  My possibilities are endless and I couldn't help but feel guilty about my blessings when so many women and children around the world have absolutely nothing.
  Although I was reduced to tears many times throughout the film, I also felt and overwhelming sense of unity and determination.  Despite all of the negativity- the wars, HIV, ignorance, abuse- the women of the film still found the strength and energy to push forward.  Their sole drive was to sacrifice their time and efforts so that somehow women in the future could have better lives than they did.  I found their selflessness to be humbling and honorable.  I hope that I can make a difference in people's lives and change the future for the betterment of all society.  Watching these women make their dreams into reality is encouraging and motivating.  If these women can prevail with so many factors holding them down, then I can certainly succeed at making positive changes.  The documentary has inspired me to become more active in my community.  Helping others flourish and improve should be the driving factor in everyone's lives.  I can only hope that at the end of my life I can say that I helped people live happily and gave them hope when they only saw defeat.        
       

2 comments:


  1. Hello Rachel this class was definitely an eye opener for each one of us because we have learned that living in America is a land of opportunities for everyone and we are all treated the same way. In the video “A Powerful Noise” women show the ambition to have better lives for them and their families, but the lack of education and poor health continues to keep these families in poverty. Also Stigma and discrimination for the ones with HIV/AIDS this should stop so the disease will stop as well. Men and women should adapt to live a more modern ways of living and continuing to pass a better life with generations to come. I am grateful because in the States we have rights and educational opportunities, but hope one day all the hard working women around the world would be able to live a good life without any difficulties that were shown in the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You chose a great topic of interest. I was flabbergasted that those women did everything without complaining. It sadden me the most when one of the housemaid's daughter got burned with a knife. I am sorry, but if that "boss" burned my daughter he/she will never another daylight. I was also very encouraged by those women who wanted to make a difference in a women's life.

    Sandy Cervantes

    ReplyDelete