Sunday, November 4, 2012

Blog 3: Schizophrenia


I had a friend named Josh* who was diagnosed with Schizophrenia when he was 17.  I was a few years younger at the time and was unfamiliar with the disease.  According to PubMed Health, an online medical encyclopedia, schizophrenia is a, “mental disorder that makes it hard to tell the difference between what is real and not real, think clearly, have normal emotional responses, and act normally in social situations” (A.D.A.M 2012).  Josh experienced each of these symptoms and was prescribed medication.  This medication made him react strangely, Josh suffered from intense side effects such as weight gain, slowed movements, and often seemed sedated.  Unfortunately, many of Josh’s friends did not know how to react to the situation and stopped hanging out with him. 
As Josh’s friends began to dwindle, he became more separated from reality and started to hang out with a crowd of drug users.  Their drug of choice was heroin, but they would do whatever crossed their path.  PubMed Health also acknowledges that, “schizophrenia increases [the] risk for developing a problem with alcohol or drugs” (A.D.A.M. 2012).  Josh’s life began to spiral out of control and he eventually moved.  After living with a childhood friend for a year, Josh returned home because his symptoms were becoming worse.  After a few days of being back home, Josh met up with a past friend that was involved with drugs.  While he was with the friend, Josh overdosed and passed away. Josh was 23.  
I found it strange that discussing a friend with a mental illness was a topic for discussion the week of Josh’s one-year anniversary.  I thought it would be a great opportunity to discuss how schizophrenia affected a friend.  I would encourage people to research illnesses that a friend of family member may have.  Being better educated on the subject can help with coping and support mechanisms.  I feel as though people with schizophrenia often feel ostracized for their antisocial behavior and it is vital that they have a friend or loved one that will listen and simply be there with them.  Josh’s life has showed me that substance abuse is a huge risk for the mentally ill.  Helping those with schizophrenia cope and live a ‘normal’ life may prevent them from turning to alcohol or drugs to escape reality.  I also think that more programs should be extended toward the mentally ill in order to help them live stable lives free from drugs and off the streets.   
*Name has been changed

References:
Schizophrenia (2012). PubMed Health. A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia. Retrieved from:
       http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001925/

2 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    I found your story very personal and touching. I too wrote about a family member who has since passed away due to complications of his mental illness. I can tell you cared about Josh very much. You were a good friend to him. Loyal friends are very hard to find when you are dealing with a mental illness. There is so much stigma where issues like this are concerned.
    I think you are absolutely right that more education is needed. Education is vital because so many misconceptions seem to linger in the world of schizophrenia. Support is key as well. I know that my mother-in-law would offer to be that support to other families dealing with loss of their loved one. Truly so many suffer in silence.
    I enjoyed your post and I hope that good memories of your friend stay with you forever.
    ~Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot even imagine how hard it would be to keep friends while dealing with schizophrenia. The side effects of the medication sound very harsh as well. It is really sad what happened to Josh. I agree and more programs should focus on coping as well as helping mentally ill.

    Fallon Martin

    ReplyDelete